As usual it is exam time of the season and all of us are engaged in mugging up stuff that seems alien and boring(not to all though)..
Exam time brings out the best in everyone, I believe. It shows you how you cope with pressure, when the chips are against you and most importantly time management. I've seen people who get very tensed, as they are unable to complete their studies and wishing for more time, and some who take it real easy!!!But I've always believed that marks are never the true reflection of one's potential.
And again there are two sections of thought in this regard. People who believe that engineers don't have to study that much and the other half, believing that all doctor's do is study!!!As a friend(a to-be doctor) pointed out, all they do is study, but that it is human spirit that drives them on against their will.On the contrary engineers have it easy all the time.
(M referring to these two professions as I know only these two professions from my background, no disrespect to other courses though.)
But my question is that, in the short life that we have, is it worth studying so much??Is it worth wasting 20-25 years of our lives mugging up stuff that doesn't have any use in our life. As I point out to my mother, these are the years of our lives to be enjoyed the most. Once we start our 9-5 jobs, we hardly have time for ourselves. And we carry on till 60-65, and no one in their right frame of mind would think about enjoyment at that age.
My room mate was commenting that day that 30-40 are the best years of your life. You are settled in your career, have a wife, a kid or two, loads of moolah and presto, you can do anything in life without hesitation. An interesting point to consider.
Ok, not all of you might agree with my view point. As my dear friend says, the defination of happiness varies from person to person. What I may consider enjoyable may not be the same for another person. And also that studies do fetch us our grades, the 9-5 job and all the things associated with what we are!!
Mothers might say that studying is the right thing to do, professors might say it is what we should do all the time. So what do we do?
Recounting a personal experience that took place last week at a viva. The first question on entering the professor's room was "Have you studied anything?" Too frightened to say anything, I remained mum. After I stammered my way through the viva, he realised that it was no use testing my wits any more and let me off. Hats off to these people, they know that we don't bother to study and don't bother us as such.
I've always had a dilemma about studying and not-studying. My mom always asks me whether I plan to pursue higher studies and I look at her in a tizzy and wonder, "What!!Waste 3 more years of my life?". Still, I believe that life's too short to be wasted and that we should aim to complete all our dreams. Sorry doctors and doctors-to-be, I guess you'll have to go on mugging, whilst we people scout about for ways to have fun and enjoy our life to the fullest!!!!
Monday, November 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



13 comments:
And whoever told you everybody hates studying? studying can be a way of enjoyment too. but of not mugging up.
cbgrtaof course*isci
hey lost(mad) girl, as i said everyone has a different defination of enjoyment. U may be one of those who likes to study, but cum to think of it, u were alwayz like that, even in school...n wat was that hebrew in the second post
Ah well, Pallav, lets just say the education system has made us mug so much more! :(
anyway, this ws insightful.. :O
tho we always keep asking Gawd why do we hav to study.. is it worth all that?? lol ;)
keep writing! :)
Yeah the education system isnt favourable towards us.
As for muggin, it is a very tedious job..
now me wonders, y do we recall gawd, wenever we are in trouble yet dont remember him durin our gud times!!!!!
ah well, u shd remember we do that all the time @remember Gawd... :-|
be it good or bad :-|
hey, if i remember u were the geek no, patchez???
such deep thot at mere examinations!!!....gawd!!i cudnt hav done dat!!!!!....n wel put too!!!...well well evry1 abhors exams n other thngs wich it brings along wid it!!!
Pallav.....This is my first time visit to your blog,.....
And I always used to think that way about higher studies....Waht waste some more years at it.....And whats the bloody reason that we are told by elders to study on and on....get big fat degrees...why???
To show that their son/daughter is capable of it...for social status...Or so that they get a better match at times of marriage if more qualified....
But may be we brought this upon ourself.....Development of the era began and then more things needed to be learnt in order to dicover or invent many other things(atleast supposedly so...not my opinion)
Neways...Welcome to bloggin pallav..Keep posting,,,,,
yeah examz do bring out funny ideas.
n just was fortunate to pen them down.
N not everyone abhors the examz, as u may hav cum to realise from these comments!!!
i guess the development era has led us to kno a lot more...u just cant b left behind in knowledge by the person next to us....
n as for fat degrees n better matches, guess it still exists....
but don worry, this muggin will hopefully end in an year or so!!!
Cheers to that!!!!
erm... pallav dont take me wrong... DONT call me a geek or a nerd though I realise sound like one...I like exams.I like the pre-exam tensions that keep every other stupid tensions away...I like the exam hour tension(provided I know all the answers)...and I love the post-exam freedom.nothing tastes better!!! adding you to my blogroll.you better add me too.
thts sooo true.. though i enjoy learning, but when it comes for running for marks and mugging up things good for nothing, i seriously wish tht i wud be doing something better.
i dont knw much abt the engineering and medical stuff and the amount of time they have to put in. as far as my schedule goes, how i wish i'd be at complete rest for atleast one day.
mug up and spit up thts wat our education system requires. pathetic!!!! hope r coming generations see something better. :D lol
Post a Comment