This is just a piece that I am writing outta boredom. I was talking with my friend today about how lucky I am, to be able to pursue my love for watching movies. And it is true. As I stay in a hostel, I am able to get all the movies readily, some which are known and some which the common man may have never even heard about.
It all started out like this, the day we got internet in our hostel, it was like getting a lease of independence that even ragging couldn’t have given to us. The movie downloads, getting movies from the seniors that started then has become a trend. You won’t believe it, but we have been up till 4-5 in the morning watching movies. And you need companions for all sorts of mad activities, and me and my room mate(n my good friend) we share the same craze for movies. We have become encyclopedias for movies. A time had come when we couldn’t come up with movies that we hadn’t seen, but thanks to IMDB( Internet Movie Database), that problem was soon rectified.
But to get back to my point, I have seen movies on my computer for free which people have seen in the theaters. People say that it’s not the same, but we watched the same stuff. The last time I went to the movie hall was Kabul Express, an year back (that too coz my sister made me come with her), and before that, I think it was Spiderman-2 on my birthday 4 years back. I am proud that I have been able to save all this money and utilize it in other areas.
The first film that I saw in hostel was ‘The Girl Next Door’. I think this movie is the bible for all teenagers, and I fell in love that day. I wonder how many nights I lost my sleep dreaming about Elisha Cuthbert. But to go on, the movies have become as diverse as the climate across the country. I saw The Ring, ghostly in all aspects. The School of Rock, The Butterfly Effect, Armageddon and each of them had a lot of effect on me.
I think that like Rang De Basanti, which was all about youth, each film echoes a message. It is these that one has to comprehend. I feel these movies have gone a long way in shaping what I have become. And believe me each director has a different style, and each is a master in his own way. I was watching a documentary about the making of a movie, and my respect for these people increased substantially after watching it.
My friend says that watching movies is all I do. Hey, but what else can we do all through out the day. One thing that college is teaching me, is time management, and you learn which classes to attend and which to sleep off. People talk about love at first sight and lovers in general, but do we value the people that we love, I was deeply touched watching the movie, “If Only”. What would you do if your lover dies in front of your eyes and you get a chance to relive the day once again, die in her place or let her die. The Anne Hathaway starrer “The Devil Wears Prada” also taught me a lot, in the sense that one gets so absorbed in work and loses his own beliefs, that he stands by and loses touch with the ones he loves. And that it is up to you, which path you want to choose.
I couldn’t think clearly after watching this movie. Guys are always attracted by bikes and planes and gadgets. So I guess the Mission Impossible series was a rather interesting watch or even the Bond series. The girls are as usual glassy-eyed towards Mr. Cruise.
I was told some days ago that Hrithik Roshan was a complete dear. I was fortunate enough to see his film Dhoom-2, and I couldn’t keep myself from laughing at some of the stunts or shall I say spoofs, that are in the movie. Out of the hindi flicks, I really liked My Brother Nikhil and Dil Chahta Hai. I thought they were a far cry from the usual love story that every flick managed to conjure.
And as for scientific flicks, you just cant miss Armageddon, Deep Impact, Independence Day. I saw Armageddon when I was in class 3, and I was scouring the skies for an asteroid for the next month, until my sister was kind enough to point out that my eyes couldn’t see what the big telescopes could.
I could go on about what I have seen and learnt from all this. I have been fortunate enough to have learnt a lot from many avenues, since I have relatives in varying fields and it is rather interesting to hear them recount their experiences. But I guess, you can never learn enough, and am not referring to books.
Well I sign off, but as you read these words, I ready myself to watch another movie.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Hmm.now try some foreign movies.Try Gabbeh, and some of the French new wave cinemas. I don't know much abt them...only that they revolutionised cinema.So catch up with them. and watch Amelie.
Amelie I've seen....u wanna talk about contemprary cinema, my collection has that too...i watched Das Boot recently..i think it won the oscar for best foreign film..hav many of then also....m goin so way back that i even seen To Kill a Mockingrad....n that is in black n white.
das boot??......has to b german...na????wow...so amny movies..cant evn think o fwatchin them...see..that's y i told u..i wannabe a mvie director :P
yup, madame manisha...das boot is german for u-boat....it is a gud movie yaar...n u can think of watchin them....so wat kinda movie u wanna make?
for once i wish i was a hostel-lite :D
Dude ..
U xactly sound the same like me... read ur whole blog ....
saw all the movies u wrote ...me too a movie buff.. So wanted to comment here...
actually me too experiencing the same life u described almost in college...
lets have a competition about the movies u watched and i watched :D.... (xcept tat i watch Tamil and Telugu also )...
Nice blog..... xcept tat poetry i dunno how ppl can write...
soon I will also write a post about my college....
Post a Comment